OUT WITH THE OLD …………………… (OHSAS 18001:2007)
IN WITH THE NEW ………………….. (ISO 45001:2018)
- 12th March 2018 – ISO 45001 was published
- March 2021 – OHSAS 18001 will be withdrawn
- Currently Certified to OHSAS 18001? – 3 years to migrate to ISO 45001
- ISO 45001 will follow common terminology and structure of Annex SL
- Easily integrated with other management systems, such as ISO 9001 and ISO 14001
- ISO 45001 enables organisations who trade internationally across geographic areas
- ISO 45001 will be a truly international management standard
WHAT IS NEW ?
- Organisations MUST consider what external risks exist
- This means not only looking internally but at any impacts on the wider society
- Annex SL will focus the organisation on Context, Role of Top Management and Employee contribution.
- Health and Safety integrated into both organisational structure and additional management systems
- Accountability for Health & Safety responsibilities will NOT be solely with the Health & Safety Manager but integrated into business operations.
- Clearer and improved requirements and clauses
- Employee participation into core Health & Safety Management Systems
- Simple integration into ISO 9001 (Quality), ISO 14001 (Environmental)
- Top Management involvement
- Organised risk management to reduce hazards and risks
- “Context of Organisation”
- Clear understanding of internal and external drivers
- Clarity on company planning and objectives
- Clear and unambiguous process for managing outsourcing of contractors for reduced risks
QCS Works with some of the first Scottish Companies to gain ISO 45001 on 12 March 2018
QCS International is proud to have worked with both companies to ensure implementation and integration of the new ISO 45001 International standard was a seamless process into their existing management systems
OKI and OPG
QCS International have been working with OPG, one of Scotland’s leading suppliers of vehicle graphics solutions, for over 8 years. Health and safety concerns were always of paramount consideration to OPG, and QCS assisted in the development of health and safety management system to achieve OHSAS 18001.
Aiming to be at the forefront of new developments, OPG has sought to become one of the first companies in Scotland to achieve certification to ISO 45001. Given that certification bodies seek exemplar clients to assist in the development of their auditor skills, OPG was chosen to be a leader in ISO 45001 Certification Programme. We are pleased to have worked with them and very happy to see them awarded this certification on the day of its publication!
OKI UK Ltd in Scotland manufactures Original OKI Consumables used in OKI’s pioneering digital LED printers and MFPs for professional in-house printing and OKI’s robust dot matrix printers for multi-part forms and invoices.
QCS supports OKI UK; the company uses our services to ensure ongoing compliance for environmental regulations (ISO 14001) and for health and safety requirements.
The new ISO 45001 standard includes a requirement to commit to and to achieve all relevant compliance obligations and we are happy to have assisted OKI UK to achieve certification to the new standard on the day of its publication.
QCS International Ltd
We are the experts to ensure you gain the full benefits that can be achieved through certification to management system standards. ISO 45001, as the first international standard for health and safety management, is the best way to have your organisations health and safety arrangements recognised here and throughout the world.
For companies with OHSAS 18001 QCS is able to offer a full migration service to ensure you meet the new, updated requirements that ISO 45001 contains. Our fixed-price service reviews your arrangements and then delivers a bespoke action plan to address any gaps or weaknesses in your current systems. Just call us today for a quotation.
If you are new to health and safety management systems, then the introduction of this new standard gives you a great opportunity to develop health and safety management arrangements now to gain early certification to the standard. There is great commercial and regulatory advantage to being one of the first to gain certification. QCS is able to assist you with consultancy support and training to meet the requirements of the standard.
If you are migrating from OHSAS 18001 to the new ISO 45001, QCS suggests that you are aware of the following changes, and avoid some obvious pitfalls:
- Do not think what you already have is not fit for purpose! Much of OHSAS 18001 requirements have been adopted in ISO 45001 – so do hold on to much of what you already have (QCS can advise). Do not throw anything away!
- If you have made transition to the new ISO 9001 or ISO 14001 then there is lots of commonality with ISO 45001. However, do not assume that they are completely identical!
- If you have certification to ISO 9001 and/or ISO 14001 then the most obvious approach is to now have an integrated management systems. Combining elements of each reduces overall resource requirements
- Do not leave things too late! With three years to complete transition you may think that there is nothing to worry about. Experience shows that this is dangerous and that the sooner you take action the better. Some companies are now struggling with completion of ISO 9001 transition this year, for example.